NANCY L. CHOATE
Nancy joined Spragins, Barnett & Cobb, PLC after owning The Law Office of Nancy L. Choate P.C., a successful estate planning and elder law firm, for over 30 years. She obtained her Doctor of Jurisprudence from Vanderbilt University School of Law in 1987. She is a member of the Tennessee Bar Association, (Elder Law, Estate Planning, and Probate sections), National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA), Academy of Special Needs Planners (ASNP) and the Madison County Bar Association. Mrs. Choate is admitted to practice before the Tennessee Supreme Court, all Tennessee trial and appellate courts, the United State District Court for the Western District of Tennessee and the United States Supreme Court. Nancy has received a Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV Preeminent from her fellow lawyers which means she was deemed to have high professional ethics and preeminent legal ability. She is also a Master of the American Inn of Court, Jackson, Tennessee chapter, a legal mentoring organization dedicated to achieving higher levels of excellence and furthering the practice of law with dignity and integrity. Nancy is a frequent speaker on the subjects of Estate Planning, Special Needs Planning, Probate and Elder Law to community groups as well as legal, business and financial professionals.
Nancy makes her clients feel comfortable by offering a personal analysis of their individual situation and goals. She is able to create documents to meet the personal needs of the client in a timely manner. Clients often express appreciation in Mrs. Choate’s ability to explain legal terms in “plain English” and to offer legal advice on complicated issues in a clear understandable manner. Both Nancy and her clients value the long-term relationships created as she helps them navigate the complexities of estate and disability planning.
Nancy and her family reside in Jackson where she is active in the community. Her community involvement includes:
• Past President of the Jackson Exchange Club and 2009 Exchangite of the Year
• Past member of the Central Board of The Carl Perkins Child Abuse Prevention Center.
• Past member Jackson Symphony Board.
• Leadership Jackson Alumni Association.
• Union University Foundation Trustee (Executive Committee)
• 2018 Sterling Award recipient recognizing the 20 most influential women in West Tennessee.
• Trustee Englewood Baptist Church.
Nancy and her husband, Curtis, are active members of Englewood Baptist Church in Jackson, Tennessee. They have two children, Anna, a graduate of Union University who now lives in Louisville, Kentucky, and Will, a graduate of Union University who is currently a law student at the University of Tennessee School of Law. Curtis and Nancy enjoy traveling with their children and grandchildren as well as supporting the performing arts.
Areas Of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Probate – Estate Administration
- Trusts – Trust Administration
- Special Needs Planning
- Medicaid Planning
- Asset Protection Planning
- Elder Law
- Business Planning
- Tennessee, 1987
- Vanderbilt University School of Law, Nashville, Tennessee
- J.D. - 1987
- University of Tennessee at Martin, Martin, Tennessee
- Bachelor of Science - 1983
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Public Administration
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Jackson-Madison County Bar Association
- Lawyers Association for Women
- American Inns of Court - (Master)
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Wealth Counsel
- Elder Counsel
- Academy of Special Needs Planners
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV Preeminent
Classes and Seminars
- Frequent Speaker on the subject of Estate Planning and Probate and Elder Law
Pro Bono Activities
- Past President of the Jackson Exchange Club
- Member of the Central Board of The Carl Perkins Child Abuse Prevention Center
- Trusts and Endowment Committee (Carl Perkins CAP)
- Leadership Jackson Alumni Association
- Board of Directors for the Jackson Symphony and the Jackson Symphony League
- Board of Directors for the Discovery Museum of West Tennessee
- Member of Englewood Baptist Church