As you drive your vehicle to your intended destinations, you may not always think of every driving safety tip you have come across. After all, you consider yourself a fairly good driver and know that you have the skills necessary to avoid major hazards on Tennessee roads. However, certain conditions may present the need to remember safety tips.
In particular, driving in heavy wind or rain often presents a number of hazards that good-weather days do not. In addition to wet roads posing hazards, weather can influence how other people drive and how well they maintain control of their vehicles. Therefore, under such conditions, it often proves wise to remember how to stay safe.
Though driving often seems like second nature to you and others who have several years of experience under your belt, you should always remain alert while behind the wheel. Any type of momentary distraction could result in a serious accident, possibly even more so in inclement weather. While staying alert, you may want to watch out for the following hazards:
- Heavy winds often affect larger vehicles more easily. People driving tractor-trailers and RVs or those hauling a trailer could have a more difficult time maintaining their lanes.
- Driving soon after rain starts can sometimes pose more of a hazard than driving after the rain has continued for a bit. When rain starts, oils on the road migrate to the surface, which makes the road even more slippery than just from the water.
- Heavy winds can produce a steady flow, but sudden gusts are also likely. These gusts can catch drivers off guard, especially if they do not have firm control of their vehicles.
- Wet roads also mean that the possibility of hydroplaning exists. Reducing speed can help prevent this scenario.
- Heavy rain can lead to a more difficult time seeing the road and to other drivers having a more difficult time seeing your vehicle. Driving with your headlights on can ensure better visibility.
Driving in inclement weather can be stressful for even the most experienced drivers. Remembering these and other safety tips may help you stay safe while traveling in such conditions.
After an accident
Of course, try as you might, it is not always possible to avoid a collision. If another driver causes an accident that results in your suffering serious injuries, you may have reason to seek compensation for those injuries. Filing a personal injury claim could help you with this endeavor if you wish to pursue such a claim.